Saturday, February 14, 2009

The 5,000 Year Leap

I'm reading a book called The 5,000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen. I've wanted to read it for several years but didn't have a copy. Last year my daughter's school class read and discussed it.

Last week I heard Glenn Beck recommend it to everyone to read. And, the following day I attended a seminar about the Constitution where the book was being sold for $5.00 so I purchased a copy.

If we are to learn the lessons upon which the founders built this nation -- in order to not repeat mistakes --- we may do well to study these principles.

I've been studying The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson (a former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture and the thirteenth President (Prophet) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints"). He calls the Constitution "a Heavenly Banner' and one which we must know and understand and defend. He stated "I wonder what our Founding Fathers would do and say about America today if they were here. As they looked searchingly for the answers, they would observe evidence of weak and vacillating leadership in many places, not confined to one group or party. They would find a tendency for men in high places to place political expediency ahead of principle. They would be concerned with the alarming growth of a something-for-nothing philosophy, a failure of people to stand on their own feet. They would find some bad examples by unscrupulous politicians and by delinquent parents, and possibly a weakening of religious training, and the substitution therefore of a faith-destroying materialism."

3 comments:

Jeannetta said...

I'm so glad someone else is talking about this!!
Hopefully we can make enough noise :)

Rick Carpenter said...

Heidi, I hope you don't mind me watching your blogs, and posting a comment once in a while when it seems relevant or appropriate. I appreciate your intelligent and heartfelt expressions.

I posted a couple of entries to one of my blogs: leftwingnuts.blogspot.com back on January 26, about Secretary/President Benson. One was the quote played by Glenn Beck on his show about Secretary Benson's visit with Kruschev in 1959. The other is a link to what is one of the most profound and patriotic writings in our nation's history, 'The Proper Role of Government', written by President Benson in the 1960's. In my opinion, this should be required reading for every civics class.

Keep up the great posts - you are awesome.

Heidi A. said...

Thanks Rick!
You are too!

Yes, I love Pres. Benson's talk "The Proper Role of Government" and also a speech he gave in 1961 entitled "Stand Up For Freedom". It's difficult to not feel passionately when hearing his voice and knowing of the truths that he taught!

I love that you check in here once-in-a-while! You're my hero. :)

I'm going to check your leftwingnuts now!

Keep up the good work! It's so nice to know we're not alone in the battle!